John Libbey Eurotext

Médecine et Santé Tropicales

MENU

Tuberculosis in children in Togo: epidemiology, diagnosis, treatment, and outcome Volume 26, issue 3, Juillet-Août-Septembre 2016

Tables

Authors
1 Département de pédiatrie, FSS-UK, CHU-K , BP 18, Kara, Togo
2 Département de Pédiatrie, CHR-Tsévié, FSS-UL, BP 57, Lomé, Togo
3 Département de Pédiatrie, CHU-SO, FSS-UL, BP 57, Lomé, Togo
4 Département de Pédiatrie, CHR-LC, FSS-UL, BP 57 Lomé, Togo
* Correspondance

Introduction: Tuberculosis (TB) remains one of the most lethal communicable diseases in the world, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). New strategies must be implemented to meet targets for 2035. Objective: Describe the epidemiological and therapeutic aspects of tuberculosis in children in Togo. Materials and Methods: This retrospective, multicenter, descriptive cross-sectional study examined the files of children younger than 15 years who were diagnosed with TB and treatment in the Maritime region from 2008 to 2011. Results: The study included 74 children aged 0-15 years, for an average of 18 cases of childhood tuberculosis annually. Pulmonary tuberculosis (38 cases) was the most common. TB-HIV co-infection was found in 14.9% of cases. Boys accounted for more than half of the patients. The age range of 11-15 years accounted for the highest proportion of cases (41.9%). The most common treatment was a combination of 2RHZE and 4RH (25 children, 33.8%). Laboratory monitoring was satisfactory. In all, 56 (75.7%) children were cured, and 14 (18.2%) lost to follow-up, while 3 (4%) died (all with TB/HIV). Conclusion: Active testing for HIV infection is essential in children with TB, because the combination of the two can be lethal.